People say that eat pork leg can become 20 years younger! Today I’m sharing a delicious braised pork leg with red bean curd, it is a dish that full of collagen. There is usually a pork leg dish in our family’s New Year dishes because the family loves it.
This time I use half a pork leg, which is about 900 grams and 500 grams of pork hock. Pork hock is called Ji Zhang Bak in the Penang Hokkien. Generally, the pork vendors will recommend the pork leg cook with pork hock, so that it will be more meaty you can eat. It is also worth mentioning that the blanching meat from cold water. The water temperature gradually heats up, and the blood in the meat will slowly flow out. If blanching with hot water, the pores will shrink quickly. This will keep the blood and locks it in the meat, which causes a bad taste after cooked. The blanched pork should be cleaned and the bones should be washed away. Otherwise, it would be really killing the mood if you bite the tiny broken bones when you are enjoying the food.
The more important seasoning is the quality of red bean curd, Chinese bean sauce, and cooking wine. In the last article about Red Bean Curd Fried Chicken, we have already recommended a delicious red bean curd. Besides, you also need to use better cooking wine and Chinese bean sauce.
Simmer vs Pressure Cooker
If you are simmering over a slow heat, add water to cover the pork. Use high heat to cook until boils, then close the lid and turn to low heat simmer for about one and a half hours, until the pork meat is tender and the soup thickens.
It only takes 20 minutes to cook with a pressure cooker, then just wait until the steam finish releasing. the whole process takes about 40 minutes. If you use a pressure cooker to cook, you don’t need to add more water, and there will be a thick soup after cooking. However, if you like more soup, you can add about 100ml of water.
During this pandemic, I believe that everyone’s lives have a huge changes. Maybe there is a lot of helplessness and suffering. But anyway, taking good care of yourself. To be a warm person, live simple, happy, and stay safe.
If you like this recipe, please share it with friends and family~
Braised Pork Leg with Red Bean Curd
Please Click 1-5 Star to Rate This RecipePrint Pin Comment & Rate
- Pressure Cooker
- 900 g Pork Leg about half pork leg
- 500 g Pork Hock
- 1 tbsp Chinese Bean Sauce
- 1 pc Red Bean Curd
- 3 tbsp Red Bean Curd Sauce
- 30 g Huadiao Wine/Rice Wine
- 30 g Soy Sauce
- 20 g Rock Sugar
- 100 g Garlic
- 30 g Ginger
- 1 Bunch Green Onions
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Peel and slice ginger, mince the garlic for later use.
- Mix well together soy sauce, Huadiao wine, red bean curd, and Chinese bean sauce.
- Put pork leg and pork hock in a pot, put 3 slices of ginger, pour water until the pork is covered, and bring to a boil. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes after the water has boiled.
- Clean the pork and place it on a strainer to drain the excess water.
- Heat oil in a wok, sauté minced garlic and ginger slices.
- Put the pork in and stir fry, add in the mixed well seasoning, and rock sugar.
- After sautéing, turn off the heat, transfer the pork into a pressure cooker. (If you use a wok to cook, add water to cover the pork, then simmer until the soup is thick)
- Finally put in a bunch of green onions, cook in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes and wait for the steam to finish releasing.