In Malaysia, we had hot summer weather all years. Sometimes the hot weather makes me no appetite and we always wanted to eat something refreshing and appetizing. Cold noodles are a good choice of summer food. We have eaten refreshing Japanese-style cold noodles a few times, they serve Soba or Somen with soy sauce bases dipping sauce and comes with tempura seafood and vegetables. And also the spicy Korean-style cold noodles, it served with a bowl full of colourful vegetables called Jjolmyeon. The Taiwanese style served with peanut sesame sauce. They all delicious but different taste.
We are sharing the recipe of a bowl of spicy and aromatic cold noodles for refreshing appetite. Simply served with vegetables and seasonings, it is very appetizing and refreshing.
Great Noodle from Sitiawan, Perak
We highly recommend this handmade noodle from Sitiawan, Perak. It tastes great and comparable to Japanese handmade ramen. The noodles washing with drinking water is to wash off the stickiness of noodles. Then it put into ice water, which can make the noodles taste refreshing. The freshness of shredded cucumber and carrot plus the bird eyes chilli and hot oil to blanch the scent of sesame and peppercorns. A bowl gathers fragrant, spicy, hemp and sour. This rich taste noodle will be gone in a second after serving on the table.
According to Internet information, cold noodles are originated from the Tang Dynasty. The main ingredients are noodles and vegetables, and include chilli oil, salt, and other seasonings. But the they are different for different places, so the methods and ingredients are also different. Cold noodles are found in many parts of the world, and they are popular in summer or when the appetite is not good.
Cold Noodles with Rich Taste
Please Click 1-5 Star to Rate This RecipePrint Pin Comment & Rate
- 3 pcs Thin Noodle 65g
- 1 cloves Garlic
- some Cucumber
- some Carrot
- some Spring Onion
- 0.5 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Vinegar Sweetened
- 1 tsp White Sesame
- 1 tsp Peppercorns Powder
- 0.5 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 pcs Bird Eyes Chili
- Chop spring onions into small pieces, cucumber and carrot cut into shred, pound the garlic, set aside.
- Put the oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar sweetened and sesame oil into a bowl.
- Boil water and put in thin noodles to cook (about 1 minutes, depends on which noodles you used), filter it, rinse with cold water and put it in ice water for later use.
- Drain the noodles and put them in a bowl. Put the shredded carrot, cucumber and spring onion into the bowl.
- Place pounded garlic on top of the chopped spring onion, then add white sesame seeds, Peppercorns powder, chilli flakes and bird eyes chilli.
- Heat the cooking oil and pour it on the peppercorns powder, stir well and enjoy.
- For people who like heavy flavours can add more seasoning or chilli oil.
- For side dishes, you can also add your favourite vegetables, such as bean sprouts, seaweed, shredded chicken, eggs or coriander, etc.
We are Penangites who love to COOK & EAT, so we are sharing the food we love with you. Know more about us…