Next month is Christmas and 2020 is coming to near end. Today I would like to share with you the taste of cream puffs I ate when I was a kid. The tangy custard creamy corn filling, adults and children will love it. Due to the pandemic this year, everyone must stay at home for the festival, and this cream puff recipe is very suitable for a family to make during the festival. If you prefer cake recipe, you might try these Pandan Castella Cake and Banana Castella Cake.
Tangy Custard Creamy Corn Filling
The cream puff filling I shared is very simple and easy. I use custard powder to replace the egg yolk, so there is no need to worry about what to cook with the egg whites. I add a canned creamed corn to the custard, so it will taste more flavour and have corn kernels texture. The cream puff filling that I ate when I was a child tasted like this, but now I rarely see cream puffs with the cream corn filling. In fact, this filling is more suitable for our Malaysia weather than whipping cream filling, because it will not melt on room temperature.
When cooking custard creamy corn filling, you need to pay attention not to overcook it. When it starts to solidify, turn off the heat quickly. After turning off the heat, use the remaining temperature in the pot to continue stirring until it is thick and smooth. Put the cream corn filling into the piping bag after it is cool. It is more convenient to put the filling into the piping bag, but if you don’t have a piping bag at home, you can use a spoon to scoop the filling into the puff. This amount can make more than 12 puffs, and the rest can be used to spread bread, which is also delicious!
Making The Cream Puffs Dough
First, the butter and water must be boiled to emulsified then slowly pour in the flour. Pour while stirring to prevent the flour from clumping, turn off the heat when the flour is almost stirred. After turning off the heat, the pot still has residual temperature. Continue to stir until the dry flour is gone, then let it cool. The reason to letting it cool is, If the dough is too hot, the beaten egg will turn into scrambled egg. After that, you need to be patient stirring until the dough and eggs are mixed. Adding the eggs one by one will make it easier to operate. You can also observe the texture of the dough because different brands of flour have different water absorption properties. This mixing process will take about 10 minutes.
Stir until the dough is smooth and put it into a piping bag. This is also for easy operation. If you don’t have a piping bag at home, you can also use a spoon to scoop it on the baking tray. Dip the peak part of puffs with water to smooth the pointed parts. The puffs will be round after baking, otherwise the pointed parts will be easier to burn.
There are several ways to fill the puff filling. I cut and pressed the filling in, and let the filling expose, so that It can seduce the crowd! You can also punch a small hole in the bottom of the puff to put in the filling. Just sprinkle some icing sugar in the end, it will look more lovely~
If you like this recipe, please help share it with relatives and friends~
Cream Puffs with Custard Creamy Corn Filling
Please Click 1-5 Star to Rate This RecipePrint Pin Comment & Rate
- 3 tbsp Custard Powder
- 2 tbsp Milk Powder
- 70 g Sugar
- 20 g Unsalted Butter
- 210 ml Water
- 425 g Canned Creamed Corn
- A Little Salt
- 160 ml Water
- 30 g Unsalted Butter
- 90 g All Purpose Flour
- 3 Eggs included shell each about 63g
- A Little Salt
- Some Icing Sugar
- Put all the ingredients of the [filling] into a pot.
- Stir evenly over medium heat until it is slightly thick, then turn off the heat.
- After letting cool, then put it in a piping bag for later use.
- Add butter and water to the pot and boil until emulsified.
- Turn to low heat and slowly pour in the sifted all-purpose flour, stirring while pouring.
- Turn off the heat when it is almost stirred, and continue to stir at the remaining temperature until there is no dry flour, then let it cool.
- Beat in the eggs after letting cool. Each egg must be stirred well before adding another one.
- Stir until smooth and put the dough it into a piping bag.
- Put a baking paper on the baking tray and squeeze out 12 puffs.
- Spread a little water and flatten the tip of each puff.
- After the oven is preheated to 160°C, put it in and bake for 40 minutes. After baking, let it stay in the oven, take it out after 5 minutes.
- Cut the puff or punch a small hole at the bottom to put the filling in.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar and it’s done! It will taste like ice cream on the next day, if you put into the refrigerator!
We are Penangites who love to COOK & EAT, so we are sharing the food we love with you. Know more about us…