The next solar term will be the winter solstice. The must-eat food for the winter solstice and Lantern Festival is glutinous rice balls (Tang Yuan). Today I will share with you a very refreshing Lava Black Sesame Glutinous Rice Balls / Tang Yuan recipe. Besides the soft and tender glutinous rice balls, the colour of the soup base is even more charming and dreamy. It looks like a galaxy, isn’t it?
Making the Lava Fillings
You can start making lava black sesame fillings first, because it takes time to freeze. Only frozen fillings can be used to make glutinous rice balls. Mixed the black sesame seeds and sunflower seeds or other nuts will have a richer taste, you can also replace them with your favourite nuts. If you are using black sesame powder that has been roasted, you can omit the steps of sautéing and grinding. Otherwise, you have to roast it yourself and grind it. Friendly reminder, if you use a sealed grinder, make sure that the black sesame and sunflower seeds are cool before grinding, otherwise it may cause explosion. While cooking to heal your body and mind, you must also pay attention to your personal safety.
After the black sesame filling is frozen, it can be taken out and cut into pieces, and then rolled into balls. Since the filling is liquid, it will melt quickly at the temperature of hand rubbing, so be sure to put it back and freeze for at least 10 minutes after rubbing. The most difficult part is to make Tang Yuan before the black sesame filling melts. Otherwise, you will be very embarrassing. It is recommended to take out a part of the filling from the refrigerator first, and then take out the other part after finished wrapping the 1st batch. This will be easier.
The Glutinous Rice Dough
The glutinous rice dough must be stretchable, because we need to wrap the filling. If it is not stretchable, it can easily break and broken when wrapping. So we use the semi-hot water dough method to make the glutinous rice dough. Mix the flour with boiling water first, then add room temperature water to mix the rest of the dry flour. In this way, the glutinous rice dough can be stretchable, soft and elastic. To knead the glutinous rice dough into a smooth surface that does not stick to your hands, try to stretch it and you will see its ductility. After kneading the glutinous rice dough, let it rest for 30 minutes. This will allow the glutinous rice flour to fully absorb water and prevent it from clumping.
Friendly reminder, not to wrap too much filling, if the glutinous rice ball skin is too thin, it will easy broken in the process of rubbing and cooking. Only add in the glutinous rice balls after the water is boiled, and mix gently to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pot. Otherwise, the glutinous rice balls may break easily. After the glutinous rice balls are cooked, they will float on the water, so they can be scooped up.
Galaxy Natural Blue Soup
Butterfly pea flower is very popular in the F&B industry in recent years because of its natural food-grade blue colour. The butterfly pea flower is anthocyanin, adding a little acidic lemon juice will turn it into purple, and it can also relieve the appetite. It can also present little magic to amuse children. Besides the charming colour, butterfly pea flower itself has no taste, so adding some of osmanthus to enhance the floral fragrance is perfect.
This Galaxy Lava Black Sesame Glutinous Rice Balls are tasty and has a refreshing feeling~
If you like this recipe, please help share it with relatives and friends~
Lava Black Sesame Glutinous Rice Balls (Tang Yuan)
Please Click 1-5 Star to Rate This RecipePrint Pin Comment & Rate
🌚 Lava Black Sesame Filling
- 30 g Black Sesame
- 10 g Sunflower Seeds
- 20 g Butter
- 25 g Caster Sugar
- 20 ml Water
- 125 g Glutinous Rice Flour
- 75 ml Water Boiling
- 30 ml Water Room Temperature
- 20 pcs Butterfly Pea Flowers
- 25 g Rock Sugar
- 500 ml Water
- Some Lemon Juice
- Some Osmanthus
🌚 Lava Black Sesame Filling
- Saute and grind black sesame and sunflower seeds. You can also use black sesame powder that is roasted.
- Add melted butter, sugar and water, and mix well.
- Pour into the container, put it in the freezer, and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- After the filling is frozen and formed, cut into 12 pieces, rolled into balls and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Put butterfly pea flower, rock sugar and water in a pot and boil.
- After boiling until the colour develops, turn off the heat for later use.
- Pour in boiling water into glutinous rice flour and mix well, then add in room temperature water and mix well with the remaining dry flour.
- You need to add glutinous rice flour during the kneading process, otherwise it will be sticky.
- Knead it until the surface is smooth and stretchable.
- Cover with a wet cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the glutinous rice dough into 12 pieces, 15 grams each. Roll the rest into small balls.
- Take out the fillings from the refrigerator and wrap them in glutinous rice dough.
- Pour the glutinous rice balls after the water has boiled, and the cooked one will float to the surface.
- Scoop the glutinous rice balls into a bowl, pour in blue flower soup, sprinkle a little osmanthus and a little lemon juice, enjoy it.
We are Penangites who love to COOK & EAT, so we are sharing the food we love with you. Know more about us…