Mooncake Biscuits, also known as “Piggy Mooncake”, “Pig Cages Mooncake” or “Doll Mooncake/Gong Zai Bing” is a famous local snack in Guangdong Province and a Mid-Autumn Festival food. It is usually shaped like a pig but has others too, such as goldfish, butterflies, rabbits etc. The cute shapes of doll mooncake has attracted the love of adults and children. It can be described as can eat and play at the same time!
Lunar calendar, August 15th the day enjoying the moonlight, eat mooncakes with a pot of good tea with family. Last time we shared the cold and delicious pastel snow skin mooncakes, this time we will make mini mooncake recipe. The moulds we were using is Daiso’s boiled egg cartoon mould. The rabbit means feeling happy and proud with the Chinese pronounced “Tu Qi Yang Mei”. While the goldfish is like “everything going smooth”. This recipe is the same as classic Cantonese mooncakes, except that the salted egg yolk is not added and the shape is different only.
Some Important Points
The colour of the mooncake crust comes from alkaline water and golden syrup, and another function of the golden syrup is to keep the crust soft and also is the classic taste of Cantonese mooncakes. The delicious mooncake crust is soft and does not stick to your teeth. It will taste better with hot tea.
After several productions, we have observed that if want to make well mooncakes, the amount of golden syrup must be handled properly, too much will collapse and too little will dry up. Another possibility that the mooncake crust may burst is that the filling is not dry enough, the water content in the filling will evaporating during the baking process then causes the crust to crack. It is worth mentioning that the purple sweet potato filling must be steamed and blended to keep a beautiful purple colour, otherwise direct blend the raw purple sweet potato, it will become dark grey.
Information from The interneti
The origin of doll mooncake, there are two-story. One is that the bakers used leftover materials after making mooncakes to avoid wasting. So they made up and cooked them into pig cage mooncakes. Another way to say that is the baker must first test the influence of the oven temperature on the softness of the crust to determine the temperature before baking the mooncake. Of course, those “experimental products” are without filling. In the early days, there was no need to buy mooncake biscuits. When customers bought the mooncakes. The store would give out the mooncake biscuits as a gift together with the plastic cage. It was also explained that gift-giving emphasizes the need to “make a pair”. Therefore, buying mooncakes and giving pig cage mooncakes makes up the number.
Mooncake Biscuits with Purple Sweet Potato Paste Filling
Please Click 1-5 Star to Rate This RecipePrint Pin Comment & Rate
- 200 g Low Protein Flour
- 120 g Golden Syrup
- 50 g Cooking Oil
- 2 tsp Alkaline Water
🟣 Purple Sweet Potato Filling
- 200 g Purple Sweet Potato
- 30 g Sugar
- 1 tbsp Maltose
- 30 g Cooking Oil
- 300 ml Milk
- A Pinch of Salt
- Pour in golden syrup, oil and alkaline water and stir well.
- Sift the Low Protein Flour and stir it evenly, then knead it by hand, cover it and let it rest for 2 hours.
- Peel and cut the purple sweet potato into pieces and steam for 15 minutes with high heat.
- After the purple sweet potato is steamed, pour it into a blender with milk together and blend it until puree.
- Pour the purple sweet potato puree into a non-stick pan on low heat, add sugar, salt, cooking oil and maltose and stir fry until the texture is smooth, about 30 minutes.
- Let the purple sweet potato filling cool for later use. If you prepare it before a day in advance, you can put it in the refrigerator for better operation.
- Take the dough out and knead for 5 minutes until it smooth and feel elastic.
- Divide the dough into 18 pieces, 20g each.
- The dough is rounded by hand, flattened, wrapped in purple sweet potato filling (about 15g), and then put into the mould and press gently.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, spray some water on all doll mooncakes before entering the oven to prevent cracking during baking.
- Bake at 170°C for 10 minutes, take it out and brush with a layer of egg yolk water, and bake for 5 minutes. (Please adjust the temperature and time according to your own oven)
- After cooling down, put it in the box and let it “oil return” for at least 1 day to enjoy.
- The egg yolk water is sparse with egg yolk and two tablespoons of water or milk. The purpose is to make the surface shiny it tastes the same without applying egg yolk water.
- If you don’t like the purple sweet potato filling, you can also use our red bean paste filling or any filling you like.
- After resting for 2 hours, the dough must be kneaded until it has an elastic feel, otherwise the dough will always be oily and difficult to become solid.