We shared the steamed purple sweet potato cupcakes before. Today, I will help it to put on a purple jelly coat to turn it into a purple sweet potato layer cake. The purple sweet potato cake with jelly has a more charming color and a rich taste. Full of purple sweet potato fragrance, it tastes cold and refreshing, very suitable for hot summer days. Those who like purple sweet potatoes must give it a try.
Purple Sweet Potato Cake Base
The method and recipe are the same as the steamed purple sweet potato cupcakes, except that it is replaced with a 7-inch round mold and the steaming time is extended to 55 minutes. After being steamed and unmoulded, let it cool for at least 1 hour, and wait until the cake base is stable before slicing. This amount can be cut into 4 slices, but I only choose 3 more beautiful slices to use, and the mold also can’t fit in 4 slices. So save the remaining slice and eat it.
The making of the jelly layer is very similar to the pandan layer cake we shared before. Only this time the purple sweet potato has a lot of fiber, so I need to use more konnyanku jelly powder. Otherwise, it will taste like kaya rather than jelly after solidification. And it will be more difficult to demold. Add more konnyaku powder, it will taste very chewy. However, adding more konnyaku powder also makes the batter thicker and fluency is not so good.
So when layering, make sure to fill in the seams on the edges before proceeding to the next slice. In addition, it will solidify faster, so you need to boil a pot of water to keep it warm and slow down the solidification time of the jelly. In this way, there is more time to make the layering of the cake. If you want to know more about making this cake, you can check out the video of pandan layer cake, so I won’t be wordy here.
If you like the purple sweet potato layer cake recipe we shared, welcome to share it with your relatives and friends. Have a nice day!
Purple Sweet Potato Layer Cake (Jelly Cake)
Please Click 1-5 Star to Rate This RecipePrint Pin Comment & Rate
- 7 Inch Round Mold
- 4 Eggs approximately 65 grams in shell
- 120 g Purple Sweet Potato Mash
- 80 g Cake Flour
- 70 g Milk
- 50 g Corn Oil
- 40 g Caster Sugar
- A Few Lemon Juice/White Vinegar
- A Pinch Of Salt
Jelly Layer (blended)
- 100 g Purple Sweet Potato
- 200 g Coconut Milk
- 200 g Water
- 40 g Corn Flour
Jelly Layer (cooked)
- 400 g Water
- 60 g Caster Sugar
- 10 g Konnyaku Jelly Powder a pack
- 2 Pandan Leaves
- Peel and cut purple sweet potato into small pieces. Steam on high heat for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Mashed the purple sweet potato used to make the cake, and let the rest cool for later use.
- Put baking paper on the bottom of the mold.
- Add enough water to the steamer to preheat.
- Put the egg yolk in the mashed purple sweet potato, then add corn oil, salt, and milk, and then mix well.
- Put the egg whites into a large bowl free of oil and water, and add lemon juice or white vinegar.
- After beating with a whisk at high speed until the egg whites appear coarse foam. Add fine sugar in 3 portions, and continue to beat at high speed until stiff peak.
- Pour in the purple sweet potato paste and continue to stir evenly with a whisk.
- Sift in the cake flour in 3 portions, and mix until there is no dry powder with the folding method.
- Pour the batter into the mold, use chopsticks to eliminate bubbles, and smooth the batter.
- Put it in a preheated steamer and steam for 55 minutes on medium-low heat (Leave a seam on the lid), then turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes.
- Press lightly along the edge of the mold after it is out of the pot, and place it on the cooling rack to cool for at least one hour after demolding.
- After the cake base has cooled and stabilized, slice it into 3 or 4 slices for later use.
Jelly Layer And Final Jelly Cake
- Pour purple sweet potato, corn starch, coconut milk, and water into a blender and beat until smooth and set aside.
- Boil a pot of hot water for later use. This is used to keep the jelly paste warm later.
- Mix the sugar and konnyaku powder evenly and then pour it into the dry pan.
- Add water and stir until there are no lumps before turning on the fire.
- Stir on low heat until the water boils, then slowly pour in the purple sweet potato paste, stirring while pouring. Stir until it boils and then turn off the heat. Then keep warm the cooked jelly with hot water, which can slow down the solidification speed of the jelly.
- Scoop 3 scoops of batter into the cake mold to spread it evenly.
- Put in a piece of cake and press gently. Scoop 2 to 3 spoons of jelly and spread it evenly. Repeat until the cake is finished.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes, then wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Press lightly along the edge of the mold, and then shake the mold upside down to release the mold. Cut it into the size you like.
We are Penangites who love to COOK & EAT, so we are sharing the food we love with you. Know more about us…