Today we have colourful and delicious Taro Balls dessert. This is a famous dessert from Jiufen Taiwan, a must-have Chinese dessert when you visit to Jiufen Taiwan. It can serve with either hot or cold. It tastes chewy and normally served as topping with Chinese Dessert Soup, like Red Bean Soup, Grass Jelly Dessert.
We need to stay home and stay safe during movement control period. So if want to eat dessert, have to do it by ourselves. It is not complicated to cook a pot of Chinese dessert soup with Taro Balls. It is flexible to have your favourite ingredients. The three types of Taro Balls are made from Taro (grey colour), Purple Sweet Potato (purple colour) and Garnet Sweet Potato (orange colour). They are natural colouring and natural flavour, no any artificial colours added. Just add Tapioca flour to the steamed and mashed Taro, mix well and shaping to small doughs. Cook with boiling water then it is ready to serve as topping with any of your dessert soup. Sounds simple and easy, right?
This is not simply a dessert soup, but it also has a lot of efficient that good for our body. Mung Bean and Barley can help to clear heat and toxins from our body. Gum Tragacanth, after cooked it looks like Bird’s Nest. But it is cheaper and it came from a tree. It also a great cooling agent and it is good for lung. By eating this combination of foods, can helps us prevent heatstroke during this hot and humid weather season. Remember to drink more water and do exercise at home during this period.
If you like this kind of dessert, you properly will love the Nyonya Bubur Cha Cha (Pengat). It tastes more heavier than Taro Balls Dessert. It also have small chewy Tapioca Balls in the dessert soup.
Taro Balls Dessert with Mung Bean and Barley
Please Click 1-5 Star to Rate This RecipePrint Pin Comment & Rate
- 60 g Purple Sweet Potato
- 60 g Garnet Sweet Potato
- 60 g Taro
- 150 g Barley
- 150 g Mung Bean
- 2 Gum Tragacanth
- 75 g Tapioca Starch
- 2 litre Water
- 200 g Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Sugar for each dough Optional
- Mung Bean, Barley and Gum Tragacanth soak overnight.
- Mung Bean and Barley cook with medium heat until boiled then turn low heat and cook until soft, add 100g cane sugar in each soup and stir well.
- Gum Tragacanth cook until boiled then filter and soak in cold water.
- Taro, Purple and Garnet Sweet Potato peel skin and cut dice then steam for 15 minutes.
- After steamed, mash it.
- Add tapioca starch, sugar(optional) and water to mashed Taro, knead until smooth dough. Same method with Garnet and Purple Sweet Potato. If the dough too dry may add little water or the opposite is add some tapioca starch. Remember add in little by little.
- Put in all Taro Balls into boiling water and cook one more minute after it all floated.
- After it put Barley, Mung Bean, Taro Balls and Gum Tragacanth in bowl then pour some soups, enjoy.
We are Penangites who love to COOK & EAT, so we are sharing the food we love with you. Know more about us…