In this issue, I will share with you a local snack “Pasembur” in Penang, Malaysia, which is called Cheh Hu in Hokkien, it also called Indian Rojak. In Malaysia, this is a snack sold by the three major races. The ingredients are almost the same. The biggest difference is the Pasembur sauce. Each sauce has its unique taste.
It’s a great honor to receive the Meico Jixiang Shacha Dried Beans from Taiwan. We will use it to replace the fried tofu in the original Pasembur. Make the taste of this snack richer and unique. Jixiang Shacha Dried Beans can be eaten immediately after tearing the package. It is already a delicious snack in itself, manufactured following ancient methods and selected high-quality ingredients. Retains the original mellow, rich and soft. It tastes sweet and has a rich Shacha flavor, which is very suitable for tea and snacks with wine.
One of the protagonists of this issue of the video, Meico Jixiang Shacha Dried Beans, is a delicacy from Taiwan. I found it in PChomeSEA. PChomeSEA is said to come from PChome, Taiwan’s largest e-commerce group, and is currently the largest Taiwanese shopping mall in Malaysia. Friends who want to buy Taiwanese goods can visit PChomeSEA.
To make the sauce for Pasembur, you need to soak dried shrimps and dried chilies first. Peel the garlic and the shallots, and cut the lemongrass into small pieces. Then put the soaked dried shrimp, dried chilies, garlic, shallots, and lemongrass into a food processor and mash it for later use. After that, peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces, put them in a pot, add water and cook until the potatoes are tender, then pour the potatoes and the water used to cook the potatoes into a food processor and blend them into mashed potatoes for later use.
Prepare a dry pan, pour the cooking oil, and then pour the blended sauce into the pan and sauté over medium-low heat. Be patient in this process. If the heat is too high, the spices will be burnt and the taste will become bitter. After sautéing, you can add mashed potatoes, salt, and palm sugar. Stir them evenly and bring to a boil, then turn off the heat, then cut the Calamansi and squeeze the juice, stir evenly to complete the sauce.
Crispy Fried Shrimp Cake
To make crispy fried shrimp cakes, you need to mix the batter of the shrimp cakes first, and then prepare a big wok, which is more convenient to operate. And it is recommended to add the oil to about half of the wok, and then heat the oil on high heat. Soak the spatula in hot oil and wait for the oil temperature to rise. Then pick up the spatula, scoop a spoonful of batter and a few shrimps pour on the spatula. Fry them in hot oil, and then use a spatula to remove the shrimp cakes sticking to the spatula after about 15 seconds. Fry the shrimp cakes until they turn golden brown, then put them on the kitchen towel paper to absorb the excess oil.
Freely mix and Match Vegetables
You can freely mix and match your favorite vegetables and adjust the amount. Generally, top with Pasembur sauce on the ingredients and sprinkle with peanut crunch to enjoy. However, you can also be dishing up like me. Put the sauce in a small bowl and place it in the middle of the plate, so that it looks more beautiful and also looks like Yusheng. It is said that the Pasembur used to be a civilian version of Yusheng, so the ingredients used are more friendly to the people.
The Pasembur tastes rich in texture and flavor, with sweet and refreshing cucumber, jicama, and bean sprouts. And the crispy fried shrimp cakes. There is also the mellow, rich, and soft taste of Jixiang Shacha Dried Beans. It is delicious with the slightly spicy and sweet potato Pasembur sauce, and it is also very nutritious. If you don’t have any appetite to eat a regular meal, eating this will be very appetizing and full.
The Pasembur recipe in this issue uses Taiwanese Cuisine – Meico Jixiang Shacha Dried Beans. Audience who are interested in trying this ancient taste Taiwanese snack. Please leave a comment “I want to try Taiwanese ancient taste delicacies-Meico Jixiang Shacha Dried Beans!” We will select 3 lucky winners by drawing lots. Give away this good taste that has been passed down for half a century. Friends who haven’t gotten it can still buy it on PChomeSEA!
If you like the Pasembur recipe we shared, welcome to share it with your relatives and friends~ Have a nice day!
Please Click 1-5 Star to Rate This RecipePrint Pin Comment & Rate
- 1 pc Cucumber Sliced
- 350 g Jicama Sliced
- 350 g Bean Sprouts
- 4 Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Jixiang Shacha Dried Beans
- 10 g Dried Shrimp
- 5 g Dried Chilies
- 10 g Garlic
- 20 g Shallots
- 1 stalk Lemongrass
- 30 g Cooking Oil
- 250 g Potatoes
- 800 g Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 100 g Palm Sugar
- 2 pcs Calamansi Juice
- Some Peanut Crunch
FRIED SHRIMP CAKE
- 50 g Rice Flour
- 50 g Corn Starch
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 0.25 tsp Sugar
- 0.25 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 120 g Water
- 50 g Small Shrimp
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- Soak dried shrimps and dried chilies first. Then, drain the water from the dried chilies. The water used to soak the dried shrimps is reserved for the blending process later.
- Peel the garlic and the shallots, and cut the lemongrass into small pieces, soaked dried chilies, dried shrimps, and the water, put all these ingredients into the food processor to make a puree.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces, put them in a pot, add water and cook until soft. Then pour the potatoes and water into the food processor and puree them.
- Add oil to the dry pan, then add the pureed sauce and sauté over medium-low heat.
- After sautéing, pour in mashed potatoes, palm sugar, and salt and mix well. After boiling, you can turn off the heat.
- Press the Calamansi juice and mix well and let cool for later use.
FRIED SHRIMP CAKES AND PASEMBUR
- Mix the ingredients of the fried shrimp cakes evenly.
- Pour cooking oil into the wok. It is recommended to pour the oil in half of the wok. Then turn on high heat and soak the spatula in hot oil.
- After the oil temperature rises, stir the batter evenly to avoid precipitation. Then you have to scoop a spoonful of the batter onto the hot spatula, and then put it in the hot oil to fry it.
- After about 15 seconds, use another spatula to remove the sticky shrimp cakes. After the shrimp cakes are fried until golden brown, they can be put on the kitchen towel to filter out the excess oil.
- Put all the prepared ingredients on a plate, pour the Pasembur sauce and sprinkle some peanut crunch and enjoy!